How to Obtain 5500 Signing Credentials
Close Help Page |
The Department of Labor (DOL) requires that 5500 Return/Reports be electronically filed and signed via EFAST2. Signers must register for filing credentials via the EFAST2 Registration screen, which will act as the signature.
Once this process is complete, you can continue to use the UserID and PIN provided by the DOL in future years. If a different person signs the 5500 filing in a future year, that person will have to register to receive their own signing credentials. In addition, more than one person may obtain credentials to sign a 5500 Return/Report if more than one person may actually sign the filing.
There are seven steps to complete the registation process on the DOL website. We suggest setting aside approximately 15 minutes to complete this process. To get started, navigate to EFAST2 Registration and click on Continue.
- Step 1. Read through and check the box that you have read the agreement to the Privacy Statement (review a copy here), then click on Accept Agreement.
- Step 2. Complete your profile by entering data, such as First Name, Last Name, Address, Email, etc. Then, select at least one User Type and click on Next.
- Step 3. Select a challenge question, provide a response and click on Next. The question/reponse will be used to obtain your UserID and PIN.
- Step 4. Review the summary of Steps 2 and 3. If you need to make any changes, click on Edit. If it looks accurate, click on Submit.
- Check your email. You will receive an email from email@example.com that will instruct you on how to retrieve your PIN and UserID. You will have until a certain date (indicated in the email) to retrieve the UserID and PIN; otherwise, you will have to call 1-866-463-3278 for assistance.
- Answer your challenge question. After you click on the link provided in the firstname.lastname@example.org email, you will be directed to a screen where you will answer your challenge question from Step 3.
- Step 5. Read the PIN Agreement. By agreeing to the PIN agreement, you are indicating that you will not share your PIN that has been assigned to you with anyone else.
- Step 5a. Read the Signature Agreement. Once you have read through the Signature Agreement, you will need to check the box and click on Accept Agreement.
- Step 6. Create a password. You will need to create a password that will allow you to log into efast.dol.gov, which completes the process of obtaining the UserID and PIN.
- Check your email. After you have created a password, you should receive your confirmation page that includes your UserID and PIN. We strongly suggest printing this page for your records and keeping your password in a safe place.
- If you did not receive the email, after checking your spam/junk folders, navigate to the EFAST2 Login screen and click on Forgot User ID.
You will be prompted to enter your email address entered in Step 2, followed by your response to your challenge question entered in Step 3. Once you have successfully retrieved your User ID (typically begins with an A followed by 7 digits), click on Login.
- NOTE: The UserID and PIN act as your signature to e-sign the 5500 and the UserID and password allow you to log into the DOL website in the future to change any profile information, if necessary.
- Step 7. Login. If you received your confirmation via email, or if you went through the Forgot User ID process, the final step is to Login to EFAST2 using the UserID and password (created during Step 6). If you have forgotten your password, click on Forgot Password and follow the prompts.
- After you have logged into EFAST2, you will have the option to View Your PIN.
- If you need to make any changes to your profile and/or PIN, go to Your Account > Profile & PIN.
For more FAQs on EFAST2 Credentials, click here to be directed to the EFAST2 Credentials FAQs.